There are many advantages to attending a summer camp, below are some of the benefits. If you are attending a camp for the goal of recruitment, be sure it is a college that is in your range of potential gymnastics.
1. You will get to experience the campus life
2. You may get to stay in the dorms
3. You will receive exposure to a coach that might not otherwise know who you are
4. The college coach will be able to see your athletic potential that might not show on videos
5. The opportunity to meet the girls currently on the team as they are often coaches
6. Some college coaches will take the older campers on a tour of campus
7. You will be able to work on the equipment of that particular team
8. If you are shy, the camp can be a more comfortable opportunity to express yourself
9. The college coach will get to see your personality instead of just reading about you
10. A chance for you to check out the coaches spotting and motivational style
Camps typically start becoming advertised on each schools website starting in January. Be sure to register right away as they do fill up quickly.
Jill Hicks has an advising and consulting business for parents and gymnasts. She will be offering an online course she has designed for the parent and gymnast who wants to know more about the college gymnastics recruiting process. This course has 10 modules and a workbook for the gymnast to fill out as she listens to each module. If you would like more information, email Jill at email@example.com.